Before Breast Augmentation
During your private consultation with Dr. Schulman, you’ll have a chance to learn about every facet of the breast enlargement procedure and ask any questions you may have. In that consultation, Dr. Schulman also will discuss with you all of your options, including the type of implants, size of implants, placement of implants (whether above or below the chest muscles), anesthesia options, surgical facility, and recovery process.
The consultation will also give Dr. Schulman a chance to fully examine your body and your individual anatomy. This allows him to develop a plan specifically for you that will give you the best chance of achieving your ideal cosmetic outcome. It is important to understand that proper breast augmentation combines your what you want with what your body can accept. If you choose implant sizes that are too large for your body, you will place yourself at increases risk for future complications and needing additional surgeries.
Many of our patients choose to have breast augmentation done at the same time as other body-contouring procedures, including tummy tuck, liposuction, or a Brazilian butt lift. This allows them to dramatically enhance their entire body in a single operation called a mommy makeover.
Once you and Dr. Schulman have developed your individualized surgical plan, it’s important to prepare your body for the procedure. Our staff will provide you with specific instructions, but a few simple steps can help your surgery go well.
- Wear comfortable, warm clothing that will be easy to take on and off. Shirts that zip in the front are recommended, as you may feel pain when lifting your arms over your head. Slip on shoes or slippers will also help.
- Avoid medications such as fish oil, aspirin and ibuprofen for at least 10 days ahead of time, as these can increase your bleeding risk.
- Arrange for someone to drive home from the surgical facility and to stay with you for at least one night.
- Continue exercising regularly and eating healthy up until the day of the surgery.
- Prepare your home for recovery to make it easier for you. This includes making sure that you have food and drinks so you do not have to go shopping after the surgery.
- Arrange for childcare and/or pet care.
- Make appropriate arrangements for time off from work or school. Dr. Schulman will be able to tell you how much time off is appropriate for your specific surgery.
During Your Procedure
Dr. Schulman uses a variety of advanced techniques to ensure the most beautiful, natural-looking outcomes and a faster and less painful recovery. This includes the short-scar breast augmentation featuring the Keller Funnel and Botox-assisted breast augmentation. The specific techniques used in your surgery will depend on the size and type of your implants, as well as your body and your cosmetic goals.
After being brought to the operating room, you will be given anesthesia and you will drift off to sleep. Dr. Schulman will make a small incision in the location you discussed. This may be in the breast fold, around the areola, or within the armpit. The specific incision placement will depend on many factors that you will discuss during your consultation.
Once the incision is made, Dr. Schulman will create a space for the breast implant. This breast pocket may above or below the chest muscle. The implant will be placed in this pocket and centered behind your nipple. For those who are receiving saline implants, Dr. Schulman will then fill the implant with sterile saltwater to the desired volume. Silicone implants are pre-filled, so they do not require filling once they are in your breast.
With the implants in their desired locations, the Dr. Schulman will carefully close your incision with absorbable stitches. You will then be placed in a soft surgical bra. Within an hour, you will be in our recovery room, where you will remain until you feel comfortable enough to go home.