Many of our patients travel a great distance to have surgery with Dr. Schulman, so we understand that it may not be possible for you to come to our office for your initial consultation.
No matter how hard you try, these places never seem to tone up and respond to your hard work. Even the most fit men complain of these “trouble spots.”
The good news is that there’s an answer for getting rid of that “stubborn fat.” Male Liposuction is a simple outpatient procedure that can remove unwanted fat from common problem areas of the body in a single procedure. Among the most common cosmetic procedures to date, Male Liposuction by New York City Plastic Surgeon Matthew Schulman, M.D. is your key to getting rid of stubborn fat and improving your shape and contour for a better look and even more confidence.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Male Liposuction?
Men who are healthy and have good muscle tone and skin elasticity are the best candidates for liposuction. You should be at your normal weight when you undergo this procedure. It’s important to remember that liposuction is not a replacement for weight loss or struggles with obesity. It is a body shaping procedure. As a result, if you are currently overweight, we recommend that you get your Body Mass Index (BMI) down to 30 or below before electing to have liposuction.
Additionally, it’s important to know the difference between loose skin and excess fat deposits. Loose skin is something we can certainly remove, but this will need to be done with another cosmetic procedure, such as a male tummy tuck, or male breast reduction (gynecomastia). Liposuction does not remove loose skin. It only removes fat, and then relies on your body’s own ability to tighten the skin over time.
Male Liposuction’s Major Benefits
- It gets rid of stubborn fat.Some fat just won’t go away. No matter how many miles you run each week, how much you lift, or how lean and nutritious your meals are, you may simply have a body type that retains fat in specific areas. This is often exacerbated by age as well. The older we get, the harder it can be to lose this stubborn fat.So what’s the answer? For most men, it’s liposuction. While many people think that liposuction is primarily for women, it’s important to remember that men can benefit from the removal of exercise- and diet-resistant fat deposits just as much as women.
- It’s a common and trusted procedure. Liposuction is one of the most common cosmetic procedures for both men and women. This is because the removal of stubborn fat is so commonly desired by patients — resistant fat something that many men and women struggle with. It’s also common because it’s so effective. As a result, advancements in liposuction techniques have come a long way, and today, male liposuction is considered a safe and trusted procedure.
- It’s quick. Male Liposuction is certainly a medical procedure that must be performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon. Because of advancements in medicine and technology, the procedure is ultra-efficient and can be performed outpatient. This means you’ll likely a few hours in the recovery room and then you can go home.
- The physical results are astounding. As long as you choose a quality plastic surgeon like Dr. Schulman to perform your procedure, you’re going to love the results you achieve with liposuction. The outcome is less fat in those trouble areas and a more even overall fat distribution. Your contours will be smooth and not lumpy or bumpy. Clothing will fit better, and it may even be easier to perform your desired workouts or sports.
- The emotional results are even better. Of course, along with the amazing physical results you’ll achieve with liposuction, the mental and emotional results can be just as good or better. As you begin to see the amazing effects of your procedure, you’ll notice your confidence rise and your self-esteem improve. Naturally, this can lead to even more benefits and returns in other areas of your life, like work, school, and relationships.
Meet Dr. Schulman – Male Liposuction New York City
“Liposuction in men is not talked about that much, but I think that many men are great candidates for liposuction. Liposuction is designed to remove unwanted fat from those trouble areas. So even if you are in excellent shape, you probably still have areas of resistant fat. Common areas in men include the abdomen,. chest, lower back, and neck, but liposuction can be done on virtually any area.
I also understand that you want a procedure with the least amount of pain and the fastest recovery. This is why I will use the most advanced techniques for your procedure and my experienced team will help guide you through the entire process.”
Understanding the Basic Process of Male Liposuction
Liposuction is the process of removing fat from the body by literally suctioning it out with a special tool. Modern technology allows for an improved method of fat removal with reduced bruising, swelling, and downtime. While each individual’s procedure will be unique and different, with Dr. Schulman, you can still count on an overall uniform process:
- First, a small puncture is made near the area where fat is to be removed.
- Numbing medicine is injected into the area.
- The fat is broken up internally using advanced techniques and instruments.
- The fat is sucked out of the area using suction applied through a small cannula (a thin, hollow tube made of stainless steel). Dr. Schulman will perform the procedure using smooth back and forth motions. This allows the fat cells, which had been broken up in the previous step, to be suctioned into the cannula and into a receptacle.
- The fat is then discarded, or can be used for re-injection into other areas of the body if desired.
- Tiny, dissolving stitches are placed in the holes made for the cannula.
- A compression garment will be put on you, in order to help reduce bruising and swelling in the healing period.
Male Liposuction Video
Male Liposuction Procedure Dr Schulman
Male Liposuction Recovery
Fortunately, recovering from liposuction is relatively quick and tolerable for most patients. Your recovery period will depend on how many areas were treated during the procedure and how much fat was removed overall. Obviously the more liposuction performed, the more intense the recovery will be.
As a rule, most patients are able to return to work, school, and other normal activities in a week. It is important that patients wear compression garments over the areas that have been treated with liposuction. This should be done for approximately three months and will positively contribute to a smooth, uniform contouring of the treated areas, as well as decreased bruising and swelling.
Real Patient Testimonial
Real Patient Testimonial
I work out 3-4 times a week and couldn’t get rid of that spare tire. I was apprehensive about getting plastic surgery since it is not as common with men but Dr. Schulman made me feel comfortable and my results are great.
A good liposuction job is not noticeable.
Technically speaking, liposuction is an easy procedure as it only entails the suctioning of fat. At the same time, let us be clear: While liposuction may be a straightforward and easy procedure, it’s still difficult to do it well.
Unfortunately, individuals who opt for liposuction with the wrong plastic surgeon experience just how unfortunate a bad lipo job can be. It often leaves your body with lumps, bumps, and other contour deformities. Not only are these unsightly to begin with, but they can also be difficult, or even impossible, to correct with additional procedures.
A good liposuction job is not noticeable. No one will flag you down at the beach and tell you, “Your lipo looks great!” Instead, they’ll simply admire your smoothly contoured stomach, flanks, or chest. They will simply think that you have been working out harder or lost some weight. Good liposuction will leave your body looking great and your confidence and self-esteem levels high — just what you deserve.
Questions and answers about Male Liposuction
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions we receive concerning male liposuction in New York City.
Where is liposuction performed?
Because liposuction is an outpatient procedure, it can be performed right here in Dr. Schulman’s office. Dr. Schulman performs all of his liposuction procedures in his fully accredited, certified office operating room.
Do patients receive anesthesia with liposuction?
There are three options where anesthesia for liposuction is concerned. First, patients may receive general anesthesia for their procedure. This is generally done when a larger area will receive liposuction. Patients may also opt for light sedation, in which relaxing medication is given to you through an IV, and you simply dose off during the procedure. This is the most common approach, since most patients feel most comfortable being awake, but unaware of what is going on. For smaller, more isolated areas, we may be able to perform liposuction by numbing up the specific area with only local anesthesia. During your consultation, Dr. Schulman will discuss these options with you.
What happens to the fat after the procedure?
In many cases, the fat we remove from your body during liposuction will be discarded. However, there is another option as well. Namely, the fat we remove can actually be reused in your body to help contour areas that are lacking in volume and shape. For example, if you decide you’d like a fuller contour of your hips or buttocks, we may redeposit the fat into these areas. We can even redeposit fat into the hands, face, or chest.
Does liposuction hurt?
While it’s important to remember that every liposuction is unique, most patients won’t feel anything during the procedure itself as general (or local) anesthesia is used (see question above concerning anesthesia).
Following the procedure and during recovery, any pain or discomfort you feel can usually be likened to muscle or workout soreness. Some numbness and/or itchiness for a for a few weeks after the procedure is also quite common. You will also have some swelling and bruising, which will go away with time.
The overall soreness you may experience will vary in intensity depending on where you received liposuction. Remember that it’s important to wear compression garments during the recovery period. Doing so can reduce the soreness and help you achieve your desired goals even more quickly.
How long does it take?
It really depends on the amount of fat being removed and the number of areas being treated. It can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours.
Isn’t lipo only for women?
While cosmetic procedures are most common in women, men are getting procedures done in increasing number. In fact, male plastic surgery is one of the fasted growing areas of plastic surgery. The stigma is going away, and more men are coming to take advantage of cosmetic procedures.
Schedule Your Liposuction Consultation Today
Ready to see if liposuction is right for you? Contact Dr. Schulman today to schedule your consultation!